Why should you have a content marketing strategy?
Content marketing is a science and an art. You need to write about interesting topics, related to your business, product or service, so that clients and potential clients can learn something of value. As opposed to traditional advertising, whereby businesses advertised to customers, in this day in age with content marketing, customers come to businesses to glean information. Content marketing is therefore less intrusive and more informative. It can take several forms: blogs, ebooks, guides, social media, guest articles and more.
According to Henrard and Pierra, content marketing is defined as “planning, creating and producing relevant, useful, informative, entertaining and amusing content that is tightly or loosely linked to a brand.
In today’s Internet and social media age, consumer behaviour has greatly evolved—as have marketing techniques. Consumers are much more informed and crave both authenticity and value. A simply smarmy ad simply doesn’t cut it anymore.
How content marketing works for your company
- Establishes and enhances customers’ perception of your brand. Content marketing helps to increase your brand’s notoriety and develop its personality. Content marketing allows customers to feel as though the purchase of a product or service is actually meaningful. Finally, content marketing can help position your company as a leader in its field.
- Increases your visibility. Consumers rely more on what they read in an article or online review than they do on advertising. Building credibility and trust with consumers is one of the main advantages of content marketing.
- Increases your sales. Content marketing can help you attract new customers, enrich the brand experience with existing clients, and incite word-of-mouth recommendations.
- Drives traffic to your website. Your blog posts and guest articles on third-party websites as well as your social media shares and newsletter go a long way increasing the number of visitors on your website. What’s more, with a solid content marketing strategy, you can improve your search engine rankings.
- Promotes continuity and long-term awareness. Because your content remains continuously on the web, you guarantee long-term touch points with your customers and potential customers. As opposed to advertising campaigns, which are short-lived, content marketing is perennial. Of course, you can create more newsworthy and "on-trend" content; however, you should always aim to create content that will last a long time.
The key to a successful content marketing strategy is to build your personas, determine what type of content they like, and how they prefer accessing their content. Talk to your current customers to understand the pains, needs and frustrations. This information will be invaluable as you develop content that covers your products or services. Remember: sometimes the best advertising is no advertising at all!
Henrard, Pascale et Pierra, Patrick. Le marketing de contenu. Éditions Infopresse. 2015. Montréal. P.24-33.
Steimle, Josh. Whats is Content Marketing ? Forbes. http://www.forbes.com/sites/joshsteimle/2014/09/19/what-is-content-marketing/#59efdcc61d70. September 19, 2014.
Demers, Jayson. Top 10 Benefits of Content Marketing. Inc. http://www.inc.com/jayson-demers/the-top-10-benefits-of-content-marketing.html.
Gregorio, Jomer. 8 Hard-to-Ignore Content Marketing Benefits. Business 2 Community. http://www.business2community.com/infographics/8-hard-ignore-content-marketing-benefits-infographic-01038290#H5MG4DlWphvHdAmb.97.